Overall scope of role
The Production Manager is responsible for general supervision of all phases of plant operations including: production, quality control, maintenance and health & safety. Responsibilities also include recruiting, hiring and training personnel and facility/physical plant up-keep and capital improvements. In addition the Production Manager will be responsible for annual budget planning and execution. They will work closely with the production team to increase productivity and profitability. This person must be trained and have at least 7 years of experience including best practices in both managerial and production platforms
- Plant and machinery maintenance and efficiency
- Staff management
- Health and safety
- Quality control ISO 9001
Communication and Relationships:
- Receive instructions from and report to finance director
- Communicate and give instructions to production staff
- Communicate with Branch Managers, Regional Sales Managers/Reps as required
- Overview of Duties
- Provide leadership for the successful day-to-day operation of the facility.
- Work closely with all staff to ensure quality (to ISO 90001 standards)
- Prepare production schedules for all manufacturing lines to ensure established inventory levels are met while operating at the highest efficiency possible.
- Ensure procurement of materials support production plan
- Monitor operation expenses and research ways to reduce costs while maintaining product quality
- Attend to optimum machinery/plant repairs and maintenance. Research on machinery/plant
- Maintain and support a superior safety and housekeeping program, including all timely communication initiatives. Adhere to all Occupational Health and Safety regulations.
- Develop and execute the plant manufacturing budgets including job costing and bills of materials.
- Encourage and promote operating in a continuous improvement environment.
- Remove production constraints; allocate human and equipment resources and direct production employees to attain all established goals.
- Remove waste and constraints from the production process to improve efficiencies and enhance productivity.
- Formulation development and monitoring
- Work with purchasing clerk to develop and improve supplier relationships.
- Maintain security system and access readers
- Coordinate the hiring and training of all manufacturing personnel.
- Analyse workforce requirements.
- Conduct performance appraisals and provide coaching and guidance to all operations employees.
- Coordinate the relationship with our union workforce force and negotiate union contracts as needed
- 7+ years progressive experience in a key leadership/management role at a manufacturing facility.
- Previous experience/strong understanding of budgeting/expense management.
- Strong computer skills including the ability to prepare spreadsheets and use Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, Power Point and/or Access) to analyse data and trends.
- Previous experience/best practices implementing and using continuous improvement/lean tools such as; Six Sigma, 5-S, Lean Manufacturing, Transactional Lean, etc. to drive improvement.
- Previous experience/broad understanding of safety systems and enforcement of safety rules and policies.
- Demonstrated strong leadership, team building and advanced coaching skills
- Demonstrated ability to motivate people, assess and develop employee skills
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles and applications associated with manufacturing operations, maintenance and engineering.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, with the ability to balance production and maintenance needs.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and listening ability.
- A strong ability to be adaptable and flexible.
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills.
- Ability to work with teams and lead decision-making processes in a team environment.
- Highly motivated, results oriented, driven
Salary: R30k – R40k (Depending on skills, qualifications and experience)
Open to Full Time or Contract (Immediate Start)
Please send your CV to Adrian.