Senior IT Technical Backup Administrator
Reporting to IT Infrastructure & Architecture Manager
- Minimum Grade 12 with relevant tertiary qualification in the IT Field
- IBM Tivoli Qualification
- Minimum 5 – 6 years in Systems administration role
- Minimum 2 -4 years backup administrator position
- IBM Systems and Server architecture
- IBM tape library architecture
- IBM Tivoli Storage manager
- Azure cloud backups
- Backup designs, concepts and architecture
- Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity
The Backup Administrator is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of backup hardware, software and related infrastructure.
This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure.
- This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational policies and methodologies.
- This individual will be responsible for ensuring that all required systems are backed up as per the Strategy and Policy.
- The Configuration of the required storage pools, management classes, Admin and Backup Schedules and Retention periods adhere to the Group standards and requirements.
- Disaster recovery and business continuity plans need to be developed, maintained and tested.
- This individual will assist project teams with technical issues in the Initiation and Planning phases of our standard Project Management Methodology.
- These activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions. Participation on projects is focused on smoothing the transition of projects from development staff to production staff by performing operations activities within the project life-cycle.
- This individual is accountable for the following Backup Systems including but not limited to: IBM Tivoli Storage Manager, Azure cloud backups, Group Backup software and Systems.
Backup administrator Engineering and Provisioning
- Engineering of Backup related solutions for various project and operational needs.
- Install new / rebuild existing systems and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories,
- storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
- Contribute to and maintain system standards.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for backup
- administration tasks.
- Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.