Position: Senior Accountant
Depot/Location: Cato Ridge
Reporting to: Financial Manager and Managing Director
Responsible for analysing and reconciling detailed general ledger accounts as assigned. Keeps records and accounts accurate and current. Daily, weekly and monthly transactional processing. Researches and resolves discrepancies and accounting errors. Completes related reports, summaries, and records. Creates monthly reports. Performs related clerical duties. Assistance with year end audit. Deadline management.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience, experience in transport advantageous
- BCom Finance / BCom Accounting or similar.
- Advanced EXCEL skills – database knowledge highly advantageous
- Strong accounting and analytical abilities.
Good communication skills
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Assumes responsibility for the accurate and timely completion of assigned accounting functions.
- Posts a number of transactions to the appropriate general ledger account.
- Reconciles general ledger accounts.
- Performs miscellaneous filing/sorting of checks, journals, etc.
- Completes required records and reports and maintains files.
- Completes various accounting functions in accordance with established policies and procedures, including:
- Prepare financial reports and statistical reports (kilometres, fuel consumptions etc)
- Performing variance analysis to budget and prior year
- Preparing notes to the reports
- Preparing all balance sheet reconciliations with proper supporting documents to substantiate balances
- Posting of monthly journals including but not limited to depreciation, payroll, interest, prepayments
- Maintaining fixed asset register and managing asset additions and disposals
- Bank reconciliations
- Ensuring all invoices for the period have been authorised and captured in creditor module · Creditors reconciliation’s
- Overseeing debtors reconciliations, Invoicing, receipting
- Maintaining back ups of accounting package data
- Participate in annual audit
- Prepare VAT reconciliation for submissions
- Budgeting, income statement
- Forecasts (cash and financial performance)
2. Assumes responsibility for effectively researching, tracking, and resolving accounting problems and discrepancies.
3. Assumes responsibility for establishing and maintaining effective communication and coordination with personnel and with management.
- Maintains regular contact with other departments to obtain information and/or to correct transactions. b. Assists accounting personnel as needed.
- Keeps management informed of activities and of any significant problems. Reports the status of all account reconciliations to the financial manager.
- Attends and participates in meetings as required.
4. Assumes responsibility for related duties as required or assigned.
- Ensures that work area is clean, secure, and well maintained.
- Completes special projects as assigned.
- Accounting documents, records, and reports are accurate, current, and timely.
- Accounting errors or discrepancies are promptly discovered and resolved (or referred).
- Good communication and coordination exists with Company personnel. Assistance and support are provided as needed.
- Management is appropriately informed of activities.
- Accounting functions are completed in accordance with established standards, policies, and procedures.