3rd Line Support Engineer (remote)
Cape Town ~ Eastern Cape ~ Gauteng ~ KZN
Our UK based client is looking for an experienced IT professional, who can support both the internal support team and clients on high level issues.
This could be anything from Dragging tickets, P1’s to the implementation of a complete new server infrastructure.
- Responsibilities will include project work and handling escalations from 2nd line as well as assisting where needed.
- The ideal candidate must have a strong understanding of the modern technologies prevalent in the current UK SME IT market as well as an ability to coordinate and manage projects.
- The 3rd Line Engineer will work independently on a number and variety of different support issues, and also mentor and assist more junior staff as appropriate.
- Must have excellent verbal communication skills, with the ability to explain technical terms in plain and simple language.
- Professional and presentable.
- Good understanding of IT security risks and frameworks associated to the SME businesses
- Owning a problem and resolving with good troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
Additional Requirement to work from home:
- A suitable desktop or laptop with:
- AV Protection
- i5 or equivalent Processer
- 4GB RAM
- Windows 8.1 or above
- Built in webcam / external webcam
- An external headset
- Preference for an external keyboard & mouse and external monitor 21” or greater. If no such equipment is available, this can be discussed at interview.
- Candidates should be experienced in investigating and resolving issues in most of the following areas:
- Microsoft Office 365 – Deep understanding of Exchange Online, Teams, Sharepoint & Azure AD.
- Microsoft Azure – Experience administering Servers, Virtual Network Gateway and Storage.
- Key infrastructure platforms and tools: Active Directory, Group Policy, Exchange 2013 or above, Microsoft Terminal Services, Microsoft Server 2012/2016/2019 and Office 365.
- Network troubleshooting – DNS, DHCP and OSI model understanding – ability to identify what is on a network and points of failure and collect tangible data using networking tools to identify the problem and formulate a plan of action.
- Virtualisation – Experience with Hyper-V on server environments and exposure to VMWare/VSphere.
- Ability to troubleshoot and fulfil various change requests to firewalls specifically Sonicwall & Draytek
- VPN – ability to troubleshoot, configure and setup. Knowledge of the various types and why they are used
The following areas or expertise are highly desirable for this role:
- Storage Management – Experience with common NAS types, QNAP, Synology, Buffalo.
- Experience working with iSCSI connection, Raid management 0,1,5.
- Print management systems
- Networking & Switching – Physical and Wireless networking including understanding vLANs
- Understanding of WAN setup and IP addressing. Exposure to different internet service technology. Experience with Port redirection/NAT.
- Ability to troubleshoot on Mac OS environments
- Understanding of different backup solutions across cloud and disk
Holiday: 20 Days + UK Bank Holidays
Salary: Dependent on experience, technology knowledge and qualifications.
Role Type: Contract
Flexibility: This role can be performed remotely.
Benefits and Little Extras: Access to Udemy for Business training platform, Discounted CompTIA exams